Last time you tried to lose weight, did you become so ravenous that you blew it with a big binge? Sure, you have to eat less to slim down, but drastic changes shouldn’t happen overnight. We’re here to make the trimming process painless. The plan: Give yourself 2 to 3 weeks to gradually reduce portion sizes. Start by comparing the amount you’d normally eat with the recommendations in our portion guide. Then, downsize proteins, starches and/or fats by about one third each week until you reach the ideal serving size. To fill in the gaps, round out your plate with lots of volume-rich foods (big in mass but low in calories) like fruits and veggies.
Sample 5-Day Stay-Full Meal Plan
This plan provides about 1,550 calories a day. (If you need more or fewer calories, simply add or subtract a snack; each one is about 150 calories.) To help you lose weight while staying full, we’re emphasizing water-packed soups, salads, fruits and veggies. The menus also include lean protein and fiber-filled whole grains; these foods are digested super-slowly, so they’ll ward off between-meal hunger pangs that weaken your willpower. Feel free to mix and match breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks as you like.
- Bacon, egg & tomato sandwich: Top 2 slices lightly toasted whole-grain bread with 1 scrambled egg, 1 slice turkey bacon and 2 slices tomato.
- 4 oz calcium- and vitamin D-fortified orange juice
- Greek shrimp salad: Whisk together 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar,Â â…› tsp dried oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over 1 cup romaine lettuce, 2 Tbsp feta cheese crumbles, Â½ cup sliced grape tomatoes, 5 sliced Kalamata olives, Â½ sliced red bell pepper, Â¼ sliced cucumber, 2 slices red onion and 10 precooked shrimp; toss.
- 10 whole-wheat pita chips
- Risotto with saffron & scallops: Cook Â¼ cup Arborio rice in 8 oz chicken stock according to package directions. Stir in 1 pinch saffron. SautÃ© 1 clove crushed garlic in 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add 4 oz bay scallops and sautÃ© until opaque (about 3 to 5 minutes). Fold into risotto.
- 2 cups baby spinach sautÃ©ed in 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz minestrone with 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- 4 oz all-natural rice pudding topped with 1 Tbsp dried tart cherries
- 5.3 oz 2% Greek yogurt with honey, 1 sliced banana, 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 oz smoked turkey slices, Â½ sliced apple, 1 slice Cheddar and 1 Tbsp honey mustard on 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- Â½ cup cucumber salad (sliced cucumbers drizzled with white vinegar and seasoned with salt and pepper)
- Chinese food takeout: 8 oz ginger chicken with broccoli, 5 oz garlic sugar snap peas, Â½ cup brown rice
- Â½ cup soft-serve chocolate ice cream
- 1 cup cantaloupe chunks and 1 cup pineapple chunks, topped with Â¼ tsp chopped mint
- Strawberry French toast: Dip 1 slice whole-wheat bread into 1 large beaten egg. Fry in 1 tsp butter over medium heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes, turning halfway. Top with 1 cup sliced strawberries tossed with 1 tsp sugar.
- 8 oz nonfat or 1% milk
- Southwestern veggie burger: Prepare 1 black-bean veggie burger according to package directions. Serve on whole-wheat hamburger bun with Â¼ sliced avocado, tomato and onion slices, and 1 Tbsp barbecue sauce.
- 10 blue-corn tortilla chips
- Cranberry-chicken couscous: Combine Â¼ cup dried cranberries, Â¼ tsp curry powder and Â½ cup chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Add Â¼ cup whole-wheat couscous. Cover, remove from heat and steam for 10 minutes. Add 4 oz cubed grilled chicken breast and 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley; toss.
- 1 cup string beans with 1 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz light mango smoothie (Try Jamba Juice Jamba Light Mango Mantra, or make your own smoothie by blending Â½ cup frozen mango chunks with Â½ cup calcium- and vitamin D-enriched orange juice and Â½ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt.)
- 1 oz cinnamon-brown sugar roasted almonds
- 1 cup whole-oat cereal (such as Cheerios), 1 cup blueberries, 2 Tbsp almonds, 8 oz nonfat or 1% milk
- Small 3-bean chili and Â½ roast beef sandwich with wasabi (spread 1 Tbsp wasabi mayonnaise on Â½ kaiser roll and top with 2 oz lean roast beef, Â½ tsp pickled ginger and romaine lettuce)
- 4 oz meat loaf
1 small baked potato with 1 Tbsp sour cream
1 cup sliced carrots roasted in 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 mini Babybel cheese and 1 apple
- 10 pretzel twists dipped in 2 tsp Nutella hazelnut spread
- Â½ cup cooked oatmeal with 1 tsp brown sugar and 1 Tbsp each dried cherries, dried cranberries and dried blueberries (or try Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal)
- 12 oz nonfat cappuccino
- Peanut butter and banana pizza: Spread 1 whole wheat pita with 1 Tbsp peanut butter. Top with Â½ sliced banana. Drizzle with 1 tsp honey and broil for 2 minutes.
- 8 oz nonfat or 1% milk
- Mexican rice bowl: Toss Â½ cup cooked brown rice with Â½ cup each drained canned black beans and microwaved frozen corn. Top with Â½ cup diced tomato, Â¼ cup chopped onions, 2 Tbsp shredded Cheddar and Â¼ cup chunky salsa.
- Two 2Â¼-in. homemade chocolate chip cookies; 8 oz coffee with 1% milk
- 1 pear, quartered, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and roasted at 400Â°F for 15 minutes, topped with Â½ cup vanilla frozen yogurt
11 Satisfying Foods (Keep this list with you!)
- Vegetable- and-bean-based soups and chilis
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Baked potatoes
- Main-dish salads with vinaigrette
- Lean broiled or baked meat, fish and skinless white-meat chicken
- Brown rice, whole-wheat couscous risotto, pasta and polenta au naturel or with a light vegetable or tomato sauce
- Whole-grain cereals
- Small servings of olive oil, canola oil and butter
- Small portions of natural tortilla and regular potato chips (Fat-free ones aren’tÂ satisfying)
- Mini-servings of cookies, ice cream and brownies
- Coffee, tea, nonfat cappuccinos and lattes
Did you know that if you subscribe to our website, you will receive email notifications whenever content changes or new content is added.
1. Enter your e-mail address below and click the Sign Me Up button.
2. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your intention of subscribing to our site.
3. Click the link in the email to confirm. That’s all there is to it!
Then indicate you no longer wish to receive our emails.